Lincoln Wins Defensive Struggle Over Wellington-Napoleon

Johnie J. Logue
Enterprise Staff
The first cool night of the fall saw Lincoln travel to Wellington-Napoleon last Friday and come away with an hard earned 14-7 victory.
Devon Parrott had another good night punting the ball. In the first quarter, Parrott punted the ball from his 27 to Wellington’s 20 yard line. On a third and seven, Levi Campbell became the man of hour by picking of a pass in the flat and racing in  for the sweet TD.  Parrott who hasn’t missed this year , kicked it through the uprights to make it 7-0 at the one minute mark. On a side note, his middle school brother Dawson Parrott retrieved the ball from the woods outside the fence.
Wellington would turn a fourth and one into a 71 yard touchdown  run by Alex White on the right side with 29 seconds left in the quarter. They made the PAT and tied the game at seven.
The second quarter saw both teams struggle to move the football. Ross Johnson carried the ball to the 11. A  flag pushed them back five yards and with 1:05 left , Connor Lynde would out run everyone on second and 14 from the Wellington 14 to the left endzone for the go ahead TD. Parrott kicked it thru and this time middle schooler Riley Sanders climbed down the steep hill near the road to gather in the football on the other end of the field.
The half ended 14-7.
The third quarter saw defensive plays by Kaleb Mundy and Caden Smallwood to keep lighting quick Wellington off the scoreboard.
With ten something to go in the fourth, Smallwood would make an outstanding interception on the sidelines by the Lincoln’s bench.
The eight play drive would stall on the 40 and Wellington would take over.
A big sack by Lincoln and a big pass breakup by Smallwood forced Wellington the turn the ball over on downs 
With a minute and change left ,Lincoln was forced into two huge plays. A third and six and a fourth and one. Betts staying in his usual pistol formation gutted out the first down and took a knee for win.
Betts, who refused to go down at times, commented,” We blocked better at the end. They started blitzing guys and we just shut them down.”
Coach Drehle said ,” They (Wellington) were really physical at the line. Their team speed is exceptional.
I think we were surprised at first as to how fast they were. In the end our kids kind of just took over. Throughout the game we made some big plays. Emidio (Linares) had a big sack. Levi Campbell’s interception TD was huge, Gabe Mehrens had some big plays and Caden Smallwood had some big pass breakups. Kaleb Mundy did a really good job. David Jones and John Faulconer were in the right positions to make plays. This is the kind of game you need. I am very proud of all of them.”
Lincoln moved to 4-4 and is scheduled to play Cole Camp on the road this Friday. Things could change by Friday. Wellington fell to 2-3 on the season